Interested in becoming a Substitute with the school system?

There is a place for you in the following areas:  Substitute Teachers, Substitute Child Nutrition Assistant, Substitute Clerical, Substitute Custodian and Substitute Maintenance and Grounds.  Substitutes are by nature on an "as needed" basis, so if you are someone who is looking for a part-time job that works around your schedule, read the questions/answers section below to find out more.

1. Where can I get an application?

NCDPI Online Application

2. What documents are needed with my Certified application?

Copy license, test scores, copy(ies) of your college transcripts, (3) references

3. What documents are needed with my Classified application?

High School or college transcripts

4. Do I need an official transcript to apply for a Classified position?

No, a copy is fine at the time you submit an application.

5. Do I need an "official" transcript upon hire?


6. Who needs a license in NC?

All professional employees

7. How do I get a copy of my license?

A request to DPI

8. In what areas may I apply as a substitute?

There are 6 areas where substitutes are needed. Those areas are: Substitute Teacher, Substitute Child Nutrition, Substitute Bus Driver, Substitute Custodian, Substitute Maintenance and Substitute Clerical. For further information, please call LouAnn Maxson, Personnel Assistant at 252-796-1121.

9. How do I get on the substitute teacher list?

You'll need an Effective Teacher Training Certificate.

10. How do I obtain an Effective Teacher Training Certificate?

ETT is offered by any of the area community colleges.


Enabling this option will replace all fonts with the Open Dyslexic font.
Enabling this option will show a high-contrast version of this site's theme.