Digital Learning Competencies
What are the Digital Learning Competencies?
The Digital Learning Competencies (DLCs) are skills that teachers and leaders should integrate into their practice in order to create an effective digital learning environment.
The content of the competencies was informed by national models such as the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) teaching standards, International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL), and the North Carolina Logic Model created in 2013 as a result of HB 23. More than fifty educators from around North Carolina took these models and identified important components and personalized the content in order to make these specific to the teachers and students in North Carolina.
The competencies are organized into four focus areas: Leadership in Digital Learning, Digital Citizenship, Digital Content and Instruction, and Data and Assessment. Each Focus Area has been aligned to the Professional Teaching Standards with a subset of competencies that help to explain and ‘unpack’ the Focus Area. For each competency, an example has been given to help introduce one possible way that competency might be implemented.
Session Law 2013-11; House Bill 23 authorized the State Board of Education to develop digital teaching and learning competencies to provide a framework for schools of education, school administrators, and classroom teachers.
|Credits Required for Licenses Expiring June 30, 2018||Credits Required for Licenses Expiring on or After June 30, 2019|
- Teacher DLC Renewal Credit Application form - Tyrrell County Schools teachers use this form to request DLC credit for workshop participation.
- DLC - Teacher Self-reflection
- NC Digital Learning Competencies Wikispaces site
- Crosswalk DLC - Teacher Evaluation
- SimpleK12 Professional Development Online
DLC PD Opportunities by Focus Area *
Leadership in Digital Learning
- Google Certified Trainer (2.5 DL)
- Responsibilities of the 21st Century Educator: Self Paced(1.0 DL)
- Coaching Digital Learning(2.0 DL) (NCEES)
- Leading the Digital Learning Transition (2.0 DL) (Designed for lead teachers, principals, superintendents, and mentors/coaches) (FI)
- Common Sense Media Digital Citizenship (0.5 DL) (Common Sense Media)
- Google Digital Citizenship Teacher Module (0.1 DL) (Google)
- Copyright in the K–12 Classroom: Self-Paced (1.0 DL) (NCEES)
Digital Content and Instruction
- Google Certified Educator Level 1(2.5 DL) (Google)
- Google Certified Educator Level 2(2.5 DL) (Google)
- Google Apps for Educators, EVAAS Basics: Self-Paced, Twitter in Education, Video Recording in the Classroom for Self-Reflection: Self-Paced - Please note: These 4 mini-sessions total 0.5 DL credits but must complete all 4 to receive credit. (NCEES)
- Assessing Digital Tools: Self-Paced (1.0 DL) (NCEES)
- Digital Literacies 1: Reading, Writing, and Research (1.2 DL) (NCEES)
- Digital Literacies 2: Visual Information Literacy(1.0 DL) (NCEES)
- Flipped Classrooms: Action Research from the GTN Project (0.5 DL) (NCEES)
*Thanks to McDowell County Schools for assembling this list of online professional development content