Personnel / Licensure Frequently Asked Questions (10 Questions)

1.  Where can I get an application?

New Process: NCDPI Online Application

Tyrrell County Schools requests that all applicants use the Department of Public Instruction's online application found at   Tyrrell County Schools no longer uses a paper application. 

If this is the first time you have used the DPI online application site, you will need to create a Username and Password. You will then create an application. Please be aware of the classification of the job you are applying for before creating an application (i.e. Certified, Classified, Substitute, Bus Driver).  When you have submitted your application, send a letter of interest to Endia Yancey at [email protected] or Tyrrell County Schools, ATTN: Endia Yancey, PO Box 328, Columbia, NC  27925.

Thank you for your interest in Tyrrell County Schools. 


2.  What documents are needed with my Certified application?

Copy license, test scores, copy(ies) of your college transcripts, (3) references

If you are applying for a CERTIFIED position, Tyrrell County Schools requests that you submit a copy of your NC Teaching License or state certification, PRAXIS scores (or appropriate state test scores), a copy of college transcript(s), and (3) letters of reference (preferrably professional).

When these documents have been recieved, they will be added to your DPI application to become one complete application packet.

Thank you for your interest in Tyrrell County Schools.


3.  What documents are needed with my Classified application?

High School or college transcripts

If you are applying for a classified position (clerical, maintenance, custodial, bus garage, substitute, etc.) you are required to send in a copy of your high school or college transcript(s).  For substitute teachers, you also need to submit a copy of your Effective Teacher Training Certificate.  You may send a letter of reference, but this is not required for the classified positions.  (Original transcripts will be required if you are hired.)


4.  Do I need an official transcript to apply for a Classified position?

No, a copy is fine at the time you submit an application.

If you are hired for a position with Tyrrell County Schools, you will have 30 days to get an "official" transcript from all colleges you've attended.  Those transcripts are to be sent to the Personnel Office,


5.  Do I need an "official" transcript upon hire?


Yes, upon hire, you have 30 days to submit an "official" transcript to the Personnel Office.  You will need to submit an official transcript from each school that you have attended.   


6.  Who needs a license in NC?

All professional employees

All professional employees of public schools must hold a license for the subject or grade level they teach or for the professional education assignment that they hold. 


7.  How do I get a copy of my license?

A request to DPI

You may request a copy of your current license by writing to: NC Department of Public Instruction, Licensure Section, 6365 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC  27699-6365.  You will need to include your name, Social Security number, current mailing address (copies cannot be faxed) and  $30 fee (this may be paid by personal check, money order, or certified check made payable to the Department of Public Instruction).


8.  In what areas may I apply as a substitute ?

There are 6 areas where substitutes are needed.

Those areas are: Substitute Teacher, Substitute Child Nutrition, Substitute Bus Driver, Substitute Custodian, Substitute Maintenance and Substitute Clerical.  To become a substitute you must have a high school diploma or it's equivalent; an interview, a criminal background check  and  be approved by the Board of Education.  There are various other forms to be completed upon employment.  Substitute Teachers must also have completed an Effective Teacher Training program and complete observations in the classrooms. Child Nutrition Substitutes must complete observations in both cafeterias.  Substitute Bus Drivers must hold a CDL with Public School specific endorsement.  For further information, please call Endia Yancey, Administrative Assistant at 252-796-1121 or e-mail [email protected] .      


9.  How do I get on the substitute teacher list?

You'll need a Effective Teacher Training Certificate.

If you already have an Effective Teacher Training Certificate, this process begins by completing a NC Department of Public Instruction online Employment Application located at  When the Personnel Department has received your letter of interest, your application will be pulled from the DPI website, and an interview will be scheduled.  If you are selected, your name will be submitted to the Board of Education for approval.  If approval is given, a letter of employment and employment forms will be sent to you.  You have 30 days in which to complete the employment requirements before your name will be added to the sub list.    Follow the instructions in the approval letter and return all paperwork.  When your personnel file is complete, and you have had an ID Badge made, your name will be added to the substitute teacher list. 

Please remember, after you have been added to  the list, please notify Personnel and Payroll if your address, phone number and payroll information should change.   


10.  How do I obtain a Effective Teacher Training Certificate?

ETT is offered by any of the area community colleges.